- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans, ends trimmed
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
- 1 medium red onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1/4 cup apple cider or white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Fresh thyme (optional)
In a large sauté pan over high heat, heat oil. Add beans in a single layer. Add 1 tsp salt, pepper and chile flakes, if desired.
Cook until beans are browned in some areas yet still bright green, 6 to 8 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Continue cooking beans in batches, adjusting seasoning as desired.
In a bowl, combine onion, vinegar, sugar and remaining 1 tsp salt. Let rest at least 15 minutes, allowing vinegar to infuse onion.
Place beans on a serving platter and sprinkle with pickled onion. Garnish with thyme if desired.