Ginger Vegetable Chili
Hearty Ginger Vegetable Chili
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, medium dice
- 1 medium red bell pepper, medium dice
- 3 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tsp chipotle
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp cumin, toasted and ground
- 2 inches ginger, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1 lb fresh or canned tomatoes, medium dice
- 1 cup chickpeas, cooked
- 1 cup kidney beans, cooked
- 1 cup black beans, cooked
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh jalapeños
- 1 bunch cilantro
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onions and bell pepper, season with salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chili powder, and cumin, stir to coat the vegetables, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Transfer the mixture to a slow cooker or pot over low heat. Stir in the diced tomatoes and beans, and stir to combine. Cover and cook until the chili thickens and the flavors meld, about 8 hours on low or 6 hours on high.
- Stir in the jalapeños. Taste and season with salt as needed, and serve with fresh cilantro and scallions